SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-21 19:07:41

bobobex
The Better Half

Unsolicited PM's to forum users

It has come to my attention that some of our forum users are receiving unsolicited PM's from some other members, and that the content of these PM's contains threatening undertones and is causing distress.

I am writing this post to let you know that both Philip and I, and the larger CrunchBang forum community as a whole does not and will not tolerate this kind of behaviour from any of our members.

If any member receives a PM which contains content which causes them alarm or distress or has a threatening nature, please forward it to any of the mods and we will deal with it.

The PM system is an added feature to these forums and if it continues to be abused in this way then it will be disabled for all users.

Politeness, Respect, Trust, Humility - forum etiquette I abide by!
twitter

#! forum moderator

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-08-11 00:38:01

DeepDayze
#! Member

Re: Unsolicited PM's to forum users

Most PM's of that type tend to come from spammers and bots. Of course its a good thing to report PM's that are suspicious to staff anyhow

Spam shouldn't be tolerated and spam in PM's are worse

#3 2012-08-11 05:26:40

pvsage
Internal Affairs

AFAIK there isn't any mechanism for reporting PMs, due to the private nature of PMs.  However, if you send a PM to any of us mods (you can find our usernames on the main forums page) we'll investigate immediately and take whatever action is needed.

#4 2012-11-04 13:30:15

dura
Bloated Gimp

The above poster is a complete spamjob. Now kindly bugger off

#5 2012-11-04 13:56:54

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Please do not respond directly to spam posts; instead just report them.  That helps us keep the threads neat and tidy, without sacrificing any narrative flow. wink

#6 2014-03-13 03:26:48

There's something disturbing about this atom feed.  On Liferea, the post by bobobex appears as:

petty wrote:

Moderator note, quote spam removed. - cc

Last edited by chillicampari (2014-03-13 03:37:19)

#7 2014-03-13 03:34:33

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

That's from some spam that got picked up and indexed before cleaning, and sorry about that (and I'm editing it back out before search engines see it).

#8 2014-03-13 14:16:16

ew
#! Die Hard

It's probably not other members that does this. I do receive PM's from time to time. But it's usually members looking for help with something, and it would be a sad thing if we lost the pm-feature. Because it's possible to offer more detailed and personalized help in the pm-system.

But it's naive to think that this never will happen. Every forum on the web has to handle these things, and it's obviously correct to take action against those that abuse the pm-system. But closing down the feature because it sometimes gets abused, isn't the way to go. Nothing is ever perfect, and not all people are nice. That's a fact of life. If we close down features because of such people, then we loose, and they win. It would be the wrong thing to do.

I would also ask some people to toughen up a little. Both here and elsewhere, some people feel attacked when they really aren't. And there are times when someone actually deserves to get a little heat. Not so much here, but in other communities I often see people being very hard and sarcastic against other users, but making complaints if they get attacked themselves. What goes around, comes around. And if you give it, you have to be able to take it. But hey,  that's just my opinion.

Last edited by ew (2014-03-13 14:17:26)

- apt-mark hold account

#9 2014-03-13 19:25:35

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

I don't think this has been a problem recently (this announcement is older, it was only bumped due to spam) but if it does happen please let us know.

#10 2014-03-14 00:30:22

ew
#! Die Hard

chillicampari wrote:

I don't think this has been a problem recently (this announcement is older, it was only bumped due to spam) but if it does happen please let us know.

OK. I was a bit surprised, because to me it's feeling quite nice and friendly right now. But then I get it  smile

- apt-mark hold account

Board footer