SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-22 01:40:33

bhashithe
#! Member
Website

Migrating to Awesome from Openbox

Hello guys!
I was trying to test awesome since I have started using #! as my main OS, and I need to test what are WMs are out there!

#!/bin/sh
 #
 # User's .xinitrc file

# Merge custom X resources
 xrdb -merge "${HOME}/.Xresources"

# Play a startup sound, in the background
 ogg123 -q "${HOME}/.config/awesome/login.ogg" &

# Start a terminal emulator in the background
 urxvt -T Terminal &

# Start the window manager
 exec awesome

this is my .xinitrc file(created that since it was not available) and its in my home folder as it should. I have made it executable.

Even though I log in again my WM is still OB, i tried typing F1 at the login. it didn't list awesome. Where could be the problem? I even tried the exec awesome in my terminal, it returns that there is another WM running.

If anyone could help me it would be great.
Thanks in advance,
Bhashithe

Summer Internships! ~ Ceylonese Connection
Need a website? I'm the one you should talk to! smile

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2014-03-22 03:18:07

mynis01
#! Die Hard

Re: Migrating to Awesome from Openbox

How are you trying to start awesome? Did you disable your DM and try starting awesome with "startx", or are you attempting to perform a graphical login?

#3 2014-03-22 11:11:25

Head_on_a_Stick
#! Cat

When you log in you're using a program called slim, there is an option in the #! openbox menu to change the settings for slim.conf -- add awesome to the list there.
When the slim log in manager is used, the system doesn't parse the .xinitrc file (thats why you didn't have one).
Have a look at @2ManyDogs amazing "30 window manager in 30 days" thread in the WM/DM Talk section:
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=18273
wink

#4 2014-03-22 14:42:29

bhashithe
#! Member
Website

mynis01 wrote:

How are you trying to start awesome? Did you disable your DM and try starting awesome with "startx", or are you attempting to perform a graphical login?

I am wan't it to be my default WM so when I am logging in with GUI (that's xSession the GUI with grayish color in stock #! right?)

Head_On_a_Stick wrote:

When you log in you're using a program called slim, there is an option in the #! openbox menu to change the settings for slim.conf -- add awesome to the list there.
When the slim log in manager is used, the system doesn't parse the .xinitrc file (thats why you didn't have one).
Have a look at @2ManyDogs amazing "30 window manager in 30 days" thread in the WM/DM Talk section:
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=18273
wink

Thanks for the link, I am checking that out right now smile

Last edited by bhashithe (2014-03-22 14:43:53)

#5 2014-03-22 15:38:14

cloverskull
#! Junkie

You're going to need to edit your /etc/slim.conf and change the line:

sessions            openbox-session

to

sessions            awesome,openbox-session

#6 2014-03-25 15:21:53

bhashithe
#! Member
Website

cloverskull wrote:

You're going to need to edit your /etc/slim.conf and change the line:

Thank you sir!, I was finally able to do that, and I now have the option of switching the WM at the login screen.
What I needed to do is that to remove openbox and have awesome as my primary WM (at that time! now I wont go to awesome. I like OB better). If anyone wanted to do this, how can them achieve this task?

This should be another thread I know, but since it came up:

Does crunch bang use two different logins? i mean, when my laptop goes to sleep the login screen is named xSession, but when you login after a reboot/boot you have the slim boot. Do we have a method of changing this too?

Last edited by bhashithe (2014-03-25 15:25:20)

#7 2014-03-25 17:39:56

Snap
#! Die Hard

You can remove the login manager altogether. Slim in this case. Some guys prefer that approach and running the different sessions (if more than one WM) directly from the command line.

Regarding your first question, I'm not sure if I got you right. What you want to do is setting Awesome as your default session instead of OB? Or just purging OB and keeping awesome alone?

Last edited by Snap (2014-03-25 17:41:14)

#8 2014-03-25 17:58:27

bhashithe
#! Member
Website

Snap wrote:

just purging OB and keeping awesome alone

This is what i need (needed) to do! smile

#9 2014-03-25 18:06:17

PackRat
#! Die Hard

bhashithe wrote:

Thank you sir!, I was finally able to do that, and I now have the option of switching the WM at the login screen.
What I needed to do is that to remove openbox and have awesome as my primary WM (at that time! now I wont go to awesome. I like OB better). If anyone wanted to do this, how can them achieve this task?

You can usually do this by editing your ~/.xinitrc file - there are some threads in this forum about customizing .xinitrc for #!

Then when you hit enter after user name and password, you'll get your default window manager.

Last edited by PackRat (2014-03-25 18:07:21)

"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce tribe

#10 2014-03-26 01:43:20

bhashithe
#! Member
Website

PackRat wrote:
bhashithe wrote:

You can usually do this by editing your ~/.xinitrc file - there are some threads in this forum about customizing .xinitrc for #!

Then when you hit enter after user name and password, you'll get your default window manager.

Well, I will look into that and get back to you if I have any troubles getting that to work. I previously didn't had a .xinitrc file, I had to create that in my ~

#11 2014-05-06 19:09:00

xero
#! Junkie
Website

welcome to awesome!

i had a lot of odd issues switching from ob to awesome. after a lot of trial and error here's my .xinitrc file.

i noticed a few things in the example you posted that differ from mine:
1.) use the urxvt daemon. it uses a little less memory and opens a bit faster that way.
2.) mine uses many of the #! default tray apps (nm-applet for wifi, xfce4-power-manager, pnmixer & xfce4-volumed for sound)
3.) i highly suggest using udisks-glue with awesome. it makes drive mounting simple.
4.) i put my custom keyboard settings in there (synaptic) - there are other places to do this, but i like it in my bootstrap script.
5.) as well as the hack to fix the awesome wm xcursor bug.

my custom awesome wm theme is in there as well, if you want some rc.lua files to examine. (i assume you have already seen the insanely popular, for a good reason, awesome-copycats themes repo).

#1 most import thing i wish someone told me when i first started with awesome. after saving changes to your config files, open the terminal and run:

awesome -k

you should see:

✔ Configuration file syntax OK.

but if you see something like:

/home/xero/.config/awesome/rc.lua:898: '=' expected near 'end'
✘ Configuration file syntax error.

you need to take a look at your code before you reload awesome. or it will fall back to the default theme.

also,
please note i'm running awesome v3.5.2 (The Fox) from the debian "testing" repos.
but awesome v3.4.13-1 is the one you would install via the "wheezy"/main repos.

have fun!

Last edited by xero (2014-05-06 19:16:39)

▬▬ι═════════-
dotfiles http://git.io/.files

Board footer