SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-22 10:10:03

Dillanm

USB Boot error

Hi folks,

I'm new to this whole tiny linux USB boot so if I'm completely off then please let me know.

I used unetbootin to install the Waldorf 11 iso to my USB stick (8GB), when I boot to USB I can see the unetbootin loader but when I select any of the options (live or install) I get the following error:

http://imgur.com/pRFdTng

Note; I used imgur because omploader is no longer up.

The error essentially gives me ATA errors and won't proceed.

I followed the instructions on the wiki/forums but there's a part at the end where it says 'and proceed to the following instructions concerning the installer' but there is no text after, only forum posts. I think this may be where I am going wrong but I can't fix it if there is nothing to tell me how to.

Any help very much appreciated!

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2014-03-22 10:58:52

Head_on_a_Stick
#! Cat

Re: USB Boot error

If you're trying to copy the live waldorf .iso downloaded file onto your usb stick, its best to use the terminal & the "dd" command.
Open a terminal put the usb stick in the port, type "lsblk" to confirm the id of the device: it should be /dev/sdb if there are no other attatched drives. The size of the drives given by the lsblk command should confirm which one it is.
If the waldorf .iso file is in your downloads directory, then type:

dd if=~/Downloads/crunchbang-11-20130506-amd64.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4096 conv=sync

Be very careful and be absolutely sure that the "of=/dev/sdx" part isn't directed to any of your system hard drives.
This should produce a usb stick with the install image on it; you don't need 8GB for this -- 2GB is plenty.
WARNING: the "dd" command is also known as the "disk destroyer", extreme care should be taken when typing the command...

#3 2014-03-22 11:51:33

Dillanm

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

If you're trying to copy the live waldorf .iso downloaded file onto your usb stick, its best to use the terminal & the "dd" command.
Open a terminal put the usb stick in the port, type "lsblk" to confirm the id of the device: it should be /dev/sdb if there are no other attatched drives. The size of the drives given by the lsblk command should confirm which one it is.
If the waldorf .iso file is in your downloads directory, then type:

dd if=~/Downloads/crunchbang-11-20130506-amd64.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4096 conv=sync

Be very careful and be absolutely sure that the "of=/dev/sdx" part isn't directed to any of your system hard drives.
This should produce a usb stick with the install image on it; you don't need 8GB for this -- 2GB is plenty.
WARNING: the "dd" command is also known as the "disk destroyer", extreme care should be taken when typing the command...

Thanks for the reply, meant to add I'm doing this from windows.

#4 2014-03-22 11:57:45

Head_on_a_Stick
#! Cat

Oh sorry, no use to you at all then big_smile
Been a while since I used windows, but you should be able to burn the .iso image to a dvd:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/wind … n-ISO-file
Then you can avoid using unetbootin at all...

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2014-03-22 12:00:57)

#5 2014-03-25 18:52:36

Dillanm

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Oh sorry, no use to you at all then big_smile
Been a while since I used windows, but you should be able to burn the .iso image to a dvd:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/wind … n-ISO-file
Then you can avoid using unetbootin at all...

Still getting same error from a CD live demo / install sad

Board footer