SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-03-24 18:41:29

intoCB
Scatweasel

One to watch?

Go Ikey ! Go Ikey !
http://evolve-os.com/

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2014-03-24 19:35:16

jeffreyC
#! Die Hard

Re: One to watch?

My one negative thought on this is:
Ikey stopped SolusOS because he did not have time for it, how much time will he have for this project ?

There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people.

#3 2014-03-25 08:26:26

ikey

jeffreyC wrote:

My one negative thought on this is:
Ikey stopped SolusOS because he did not have time for it, how much time will he have for this project ?

Well, SolusOS was a lot bigger than Evolve OS. See, SolusOS had a bit of a problem, in that it was too big. Some of you may remember a while ago now on G+ I put out a survey. I asked a very simple question.. I asked the users whether they wanted a task-specific distro, as I did, or a monolithic does-everything distro. People voted overwhelmingly for the second option.

Folks wanted me to basically create another Debian, with enormous repositories, and maintain the Consort GNOME Fallback fork. That was what I had no time to work on, all the extra "stuff". I've zero interest in doing any of that this time around, keeping things very small and manageable. My desktop is very easy to maintain, as it just plugs into the existing GNOME stack (No forks! smile)

One of the first things I did was to purge packages from the repo I don't want to support (pekwm, openbox and xfce just got git rm -rf'd), and I'm going to keep it limited to the goals of the project - and that enables me to have much more time to work on things that actually matter.. (On the website I made a post about reusing what's already there - its already saved me a shedload of time)

Anywho - I just wanted to ensure things were cleared up before any discussion went up around it - and if anyone still needs questions answering I'm happy to do so on G+, or here (as long as I remember to keep checking the thread - I'm terrible at that)

Have a great day smile

- Ikey

#4 2014-03-25 08:38:15

corenominal
WRONG
Website

ikey wrote:

Folks wanted me to basically create another Debian, with enormous repositories, and maintain the Consort GNOME Fallback fork. That was what I had no time to work on, all the extra "stuff". I've zero interest in doing any of that this time around, keeping things very small and manageable.

Sounds good and it is great to see you developing again smile

Budgie Desktop looks super interesting. I'm itching to give it a try and I'm especially interested to see how the task management is handled.

Ex-developer of #! CrunchBang. Follow me on Twitter smile

#5 2014-03-25 09:43:59

Snap
#! Die Hard

So.... Correct me if I'm wrong. Budgie Desktop is a tweaked Gnome?  roll

#6 2014-03-25 15:31:26

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

Snap wrote:

Is this sarcasm or...?  devil It's not, it's a whole new project. I came across it yesterday and I'm very interested. It's super lightweight (consisting of only a panel, a session and a window manager) but sadly it doesn't compile on my laptop. I'm going to file an issue on that soon!

EDIT: scratch that, the issue was already reported big_smile

Last edited by Unia (2014-03-25 15:43:29)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres
Github

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#7 2014-03-25 18:48:25

ikey

corenominal wrote:
ikey wrote:

Folks wanted me to basically create another Debian, with enormous repositories, and maintain the Consort GNOME Fallback fork. That was what I had no time to work on, all the extra "stuff". I've zero interest in doing any of that this time around, keeping things very small and manageable.

Sounds good and it is great to see you developing again smile

Budgie Desktop looks super interesting. I'm itching to give it a try and I'm especially interested to see how the task management is handled.

Thanks smile I've been slowly getting back into things, and doing things my own way really. Glad to see you're still going strong with Crunchbang, nice to see the "old guard" as it were still exists, in the sea of all these new projects.

#8 2014-03-25 18:50:59

ikey

Unia wrote:
Snap wrote:

Is this sarcasm or...?  devil It's not, it's a whole new project. I came across it yesterday and I'm very interested. It's super lightweight (consisting of only a panel, a session and a window manager) but sadly it doesn't compile on my laptop. I'm going to file an issue on that soon!

EDIT: scratch that, the issue was already reported big_smile

^ That. smile The window manager uses libmutter, and provides a modification of the default Mutter plugin (not the GNOME Shell one smile ). Panel and session etc are written from scratch and kinda Chrome OS-esque. This is on purpose, mind. I'm not doing it on the sly
or accidently ending up with something looking similar to Chrome OS, I deliberately look to it, and other systems, for some inspiration

#9 2014-03-25 19:26:10

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

I just ran it for a few minutes. I definitely like what is there already. It is noticably still under development (no crashes, but missing features and flashing animations) but already stable!

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres
Github

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#10 2014-03-25 19:32:14

ikey

Unia wrote:

I just ran it for a few minutes. I definitely like what is there already. It is noticably still under development (no crashes, but missing features and flashing animations) but already stable!

Thanks big_smile Out of curiosity would the flashing animation be when changing wallpapers? I need to fix that.. it animates the new wallpaper coming in, but doesn't animate the removal of the old one >_>

I don't get massive amounts of time to work on it due to a full time job, and concentrate on one thing at a time, so this week I'm doing Evolve OS itself. Pull requests, issues, feedback, etc, are all welcome smile

#11 2014-03-25 19:48:52

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

For me, the animation to fullscreen an application wasn't fluid.

I have been wanting to get involved in a real project instead of doing my own (although I do have an unfinished one and I plan on tidying up the others...  devil ) but university does not allow me to have free time. I'll see if/when I can find something to work on!

Github

#12 2014-03-26 10:01:32

ikey

Ah yeah the maximize animation is a bit on the ugly side. Not massively sure what to do with that, as contents wont resize, we're just scaling a parent container.. I'll look into it smile

Board footer