SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-23 06:15:48

Probe34

WattOS compared to Crunchbang Linux

I have taken a look at WattOS and my reaction was: WTF! I thought it was Ubuntu-based but then I read:"
The wattOS team is pleased to announce the release of the new version of wattOS - Release 8 - (also known as R8). After 5 years being an Ubuntu based distro, we have made the change to Debian. Specifically Debian Wheezy as the base, with some backports thrown in (for example a newer Kernel), and in a couple of small places a little Jessie where warranted. But for the most part, its Debian Wheezy as a base to build from. "
Can somebody see any difference between the two operating systems apart from the fact that they use slightly different softwarepackages?

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2014-06-23 07:03:31

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Re: WattOS compared to Crunchbang Linux

The differences are more fundamental than that.  This thread is a good place to start.

#3 2014-06-26 03:24:51

Bob E
#! Member

Probe34 wrote:

Can somebody see any difference between the two operating systems apart from the fact that they use slightly different softwarepackages?

lol When R8 first came out, I ran it in VB. It does look like he used #! as a template, right down to the conky and tint2 configuration. I can't remember how the right-click menu looks, but I think it's the same as well.

The main difference I can see is support; from cornominal all the way down to this forum, #! is rock-solid. Biff is a one-man operation, and his job will sometimes take him out of town for weeks at a time, so he can only work on issues as time permits. The WattOS forum is OK for support, but since (pure) Debian is a new animal to all the WattOS users, it's a learning curve for them as well. The knowledge and experience is much better on this forum.

@pvsage: The OP means the differences between #! and the new WattOS Debian Stable that looks and acts like #!

Last edited by Bob E (2014-06-26 04:25:54)

#4 2014-06-26 06:00:05

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Oh. ops  In that case, Bob E is correct; the only differences would be between how Philip and Biff configure things, and it sounds like Biff took quite a few pages from Philip's playbook.  That's fine, as most of the configs are either GPL or WTFPL.  (The latter requests simply using a different name for any derivative works.)

#5 2014-06-26 06:20:46

Head_on_a_Stick
#! Cat

I have to say, I used microWatt 7.5 for a while & the support was first rate --- Biff took the time to answer one of my queries himself smile
As to the differences: the openbox version of WattOS is 32-bit only, whereas #! supports 64-bit as well...

#6 2014-07-04 12:41:20

balloon
Website

I think that there is the person knowing, but do this post daringly. tongue

At first, please lose it if you remember that wattOS is Ubuntu base.
wattOS R8 was reborn to Debian wheezy base. (Like past #!)
Microwatt which is this one edition adopts Openbox and tint2.
Microwatt of wattOS R8 can make use of experience of #!.
Please pay attention if worried about this.  wink

Last edited by balloon (2014-07-04 12:42:02)

BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen. (ふうせん Fu-sen.)
ChunchBang Japan!  クランチバン ジャパン!  http://crunchbang-jp.jimdo.com/

Board footer