SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-04 13:57:12

carugnom

Please enhance language support

Hello,

I install CB selecting Spanish language support.
However, in many places the messages are displayed in English.
For example, 'open terminal' in thunar contextual menu, xdg-user-dirs, cb-exit, ....
Thank you

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2014-07-04 14:13:36

Sector11
Leonardo da Conci
Website

Re: Please enhance language support

@ carugnom

Hola!

Some things are beyond #! for language support.  Example: Thunar - not developed by #!

The cb-exit script ( /usr/bin/cb-exit ) can be edited by you if you wish.

In fact any of the /usr/bin/cb-somename scripts can be edited - with caution = make backups

Q&As for Conky v1.9 & v1.10 | Conky Archives | All Conky Threads
.deb file editor | Debian Jessie: BunsenLabs subAlpha & Wally-jr
BL Forum Moderator | LinuxBBQ

#3 2014-07-04 16:13:16

twoion
Emerald Caffeine

carugnom wrote:

Hello,

I install CB selecting Spanish language support.
However, in many places the messages are displayed in English.
For example, 'open terminal' in thunar contextual menu, xdg-user-dirs, cb-exit, ....
Thank you

as S11 said: the localization of upstream programs and therewith packages is up to the program's developer. While various libraries, like the GNU C standard library, Qt and so on provide localization features, they must be used in the actual program. Embedding and maintaining application localization in the source code is already painful -- now you have to translate the UI, and maintain all translations whenever you make a minor change: few FOSS projects have the resources to sustain localization efforts over an extended time frame. It's also a question of the preferred target audience of the program where developers allocate their time resources. Last thing: you also need a speaker of the target language (who writes the translations, and tests them)! As someone who writes software, I can say for myself that it's a _very_ annoying process: tried it, dumped it.

But this is actually where you as a consumer of FOSS can become active: find the place where the package is being developed, get in touch with the developers and contribute a Spanish translation! People will be thankful, and the program's getting improved. There are many platforms and tools available (like launchpad) which make translation contribution easy even for less technical people. This is how FOSS minus company contributions is being kept alive ^^

Last edited by twoion (2014-07-04 16:14:13)

Eroica ~ Forum Moderator | {www, pkg}.bunsenlabs.org |  AUR

#4 2014-07-04 16:41:55

Sector11
Leonardo da Conci
Website

@ twoion

I wonder if poedit would help with this?

I know I used that to help with translations for conkyForecast back when that was working well.

My problem is I am only proficient with one language although some English teachers may disagree in which case it would be zero languages.  ops

#5 2014-07-04 17:15:18

twoion
Emerald Caffeine

Sector11 wrote:

@ twoion

I wonder if poedit would help with this?

I know I used that to help with translations for conkyForecast back when that was working well.

My problem is I am only proficient with one language although some English teachers may disagree in which case it would be zero languages.  ops

Yup. poedit a nice native tool for working with .po and .pot files as used by GNU gettext. Qt has Linguist (because they don't use gettext by default). Java uses classes for 'internationalization' (what else? they only got classes...). Of course, you can roll your own any time -- Qt is a pleasure to use when compared to gettext, which is effectively impossible to use without pulling in GNU autotools (automake, autoconf, ...) or a substitute with approximate feature parity like cmake. Oh well. But there also web services which hook directly into repositories and allow contributors to commit their translations en large via web UI, like https://translations.launchpad.net which is being used by core Ubuntu projects and a number of other ones. Platforms like this also usually implement an appropriate review workfloww for maintainers, and/or even a hierarchial team with different access rights. For example, a divison by larger program components (backend vs frontend) is common. The code developers then just have to merge the branch from source control the approved translations are on, and ship it.

Eroica ~ Forum Moderator | {www, pkg}.bunsenlabs.org |  AUR

#6 2014-07-04 19:07:39

Sector11
Leonardo da Conci
Website

@ twoion - OOPS!  We're derailing the thread ... but all good stuff related to "translation problems" ... I have to admit reading your post I learn a lot!

#7 2014-07-07 10:35:17

carugnom

Sector11 wrote:

@ carugnom

Hola!

Some things are beyond #! for language support.  Example: Thunar - not developed by #!

The cb-exit script ( /usr/bin/cb-exit ) can be edited by you if you wish.

In fact any of the /usr/bin/cb-somename scripts can be edited - with caution = make backups

The same items I report as non translated by #! are translated by Debian in a fresh installation.
That's why I open the suggestion.
If Debian does it well, it is not beyond the scope of #! too

#8 2014-09-20 20:08:13

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

^ That's interesting as CrunchBang is just a customized variant of Debian.

20140921-01 edit: 
01) Create a list of installed packages on a pure Debian install and on a CrunchBang install using this procedure.
02) Use a diff tool (diffuse or meld) to locate the possible missing packages in CrunchBang.
03) Install missing packages and test.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2014-09-21 06:21:41)

Linux User #586672
There aren't enough swear-words in the English language, so now I'll have to call you perkeleen vittupää just to express my disgust and frustration with this crap. -- Linus Torvalds

Board footer