SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-04 23:51:08

Poyozo

New Linux User

`Hi Everybody!

So this is my first time useing a Linux operating system. I've been a windows user my entire life so this is all brand new to me and I'm just wondering if there are any good tutorials out there for a first time user like myself that anyone would reccomend to get me acclamated to the O.S. so that I'm able to use this to it's full extent. Also if there's anything people would reccomend I do in terms of downloading software or customization to make my life easier, I would really appreciate it the suggestions. Forgive me for not looking around the forums yet, I'm sure there are tutorials out there and other answers, but I figured introducing myself and asking might give me better results.

Gracias a mil,
Poyozo

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2014-07-05 00:39:15

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

Re: New Linux User

Welcome Poyozo! Enjoy the incredible #! distro!

what tutorials did you have in mind?

Last edited by CSCoder4ever (2014-07-05 00:40:06)

#3 2014-07-05 06:57:21

Poyozo

Thanks for the welcome, I'm really enjoying it thus far. It seems to operate quite a bit more smoothly then windows xp was on this laptop that's about a decade old. As for tutorials I was thinking more of just general use, i.e. where to find applications (like what would be the equivalant of what is the start menu on windows) or the command promps I can put into the terminal to run them. I know I have something that's somewhat equivacle to windows office, but I'm not entirely sure where to find it. I feel like this is super beginner stuff, but like I said this is my first time working with this and I'm having some trouble transitioning.

Thanks for the help

#4 2014-07-05 10:54:14

Head_on_a_Stick
#! Cat

Hello Poyozo, welcome to #!
CrunchBang is based on Debian so the information in the Debian Wiki is all relevant (the wiki search engine is rubbish though: best to enter the search term in duckduckgo & add "debian wiki" at the end). I also find the Debian Reference extremely useful.
Applications can be found in /usr/share/applications/; if you right-click on an icon there, "Properties" > "Launcher" > "Command" will give you the prompt needed to launch the program from the terminal (or dmenu).
The Office equivalent is LibreOffice, it can be installed via the openbox main menu > "Office" > "LibreOffice" > "Install LibreOffice"
Lastly, try out these commands in your terminal:

man man

&

info info

smile

#5 2014-07-06 13:48:22

Sector11
Leonardo da Conci
Website

@ Poyozo

Welcome to #! ... good tips so far.  plus there is always the 'magnifying glass' in the upper right corner of the page (to search the forums)

@ Head_on_a_Stick

info info

That's even new to me - wonderful.  Thanks.

Q&As for Conky v1.9 & v1.10 | Conky Archives | All Conky Threads
.deb file editor | Debian Jessie: BunsenLabs subAlpha & Wally-jr
BL Forum Moderator | LinuxBBQ

#6 2014-07-07 21:25:48

Poyozo

Thanks everyone for the awesome advice, it's helping me get acclamated to this O.S. a lot faster, especially using the "man" command in the terminal on various applications. Just one more quick question, I installed GuildWars with Wine and I'm not entirely sure where the application ended up on the computer. It says it's on the C Drive in Program files when I run the installer which is in my downloads, but I'm not entirely sure how to get there like I would in windows because I'm not seeing that anywhere in my file manager.

Again I really appreciate all the help.

Edit: Another quick question; are there any basic image software editing programs (like paint). I'm trying to reduce the size of some of my image files so I can have an avatar on your very, very, helpful forums, but I'm having trouble doing that.

Last edited by Poyozo (2014-07-07 21:30:47)

#7 2014-07-08 06:32:37

Head_on_a_Stick
#! Cat

Poyozo wrote:

Another quick question; are there any basic image software editing programs (like paint). I'm trying to reduce the size of some of my image files so I can have an avatar on your very, very, helpful forums, but I'm having trouble doing that.

Open a terminal & use the "mogrify" command (from imagemagick):

convert -resize 80x80 <name of your image file> avatar.png

This will create an 80x80 pixel version of your image called avatar.png...
smile
EDIT: aspect ratio is preserved, so the largest dimension will be 80 pixels with the other dimension scaled correctly.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2014-07-08 06:36:13)

Board footer