SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-05 05:38:57

y.mk

Waldorf: Stock kernel Vs liquorix. Help needed.

folks,

I have successfully installed #! on a
Nokia Booklet3G
1GB RAM
GMA500 graphics
netbook.

After the usual problem of not waking up from suspend was overcome with a suggestion from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2086112 , I was really happy. (To get rid of this problem alone, I have tried many distros on this netbook).

However there are some minor issues still lingering...(stock kernel)

1. Brightness keys don't work. Screen is always at its brightest.
2. Netbook heats up quite a bit.
3. Overall battery life is below par (must be because of above?)

So I tried the lqx (liquorix) kernel (latest stable) and all 3 problems above are overcome. made me happy. BUT...I was disappointed to find out that suspend/resume problem has resurfaced. [Laptop does not wake up after you suspend it by closing the lid. I have to hold down power button for 5 seconds to power it off and on again]
Wondering what could be the cause. Any help appreciated.
Basically ...
I want to stick to liquorix kernel but suspend/resume must work
OR
I can live with stock kernel.. but 1,2&3 listed above must be overcome.

Any ideas?
--

Last edited by y.mk (2014-07-05 05:44:45)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2014-07-05 13:41:07

twoion
Emerald Caffeine

Re: Waldorf: Stock kernel Vs liquorix. Help needed.

@1: non-functional brightness keys != no brightness adjusting functionality. As root:

cd /sys/class/backlight
cd $whateverfolderyoullfindhere
cat max_brightness # will echo an integer value that indicates maximum brightness
cat brightness # will echo an integer representing the current brightness level
echo 0 > brightness # should set to minimum brightness
echo $yourmaxbrightness > brightness # should set max brightness again

Try every integer value between 0 and $yourmaxbrightness and find out how many brightness levels are supported. If this works, we can fix your keys.

@2 Newer kernel -> better support for power saving features of chipsets and other hardware components. Workarounds for older kernels usually consist in enabling not-yet-by-default-enabled driver features or limiting the system performance. Very hardware-specific; you should probably use a newer kernel if you want to improve on this class of issue.

@3 Directly related to the above two points.

--

Personally, I'd suggest you'd work on the suspend/resume issue with the Liquorix kernel instead (which most likely isn't specific to Liquorix but that kernel version altogether).

Eroica ~ Forum Moderator | {www, pkg}.bunsenlabs.org |  AUR

#3 2014-07-05 13:46:30

twoion
Emerald Caffeine

Eroica ~ Forum Moderator | {www, pkg}.bunsenlabs.org |  AUR

#4 2014-07-06 07:05:28

y.mk

1. I am able to do this.
max_brightness = 100
brightness = 100

and echo'ing various values from 0-100 dims or brightens the backlight accordingly. I could increment the value by 1 or 2 and see backlight brightening marginally. This was visible from 0-10, but after that the marginal increase was hard to recognise to naked eye.

Overall I think we're good on this. My guess was the solution would involve identifying the keystrokes and triggering a script via  openbox configuration, but my backlight/brightness keys don;t seem to be recognised when I'm booted into stock kernel (3.2.0-4-486).

$xev    #followed by Fn+F7 (decrese brightness)
KeyPress event, serial 46, synthetic NO, window 0x2a00001,
    root 0x131, subw 0x0, time 2189871, (420,-214), root:(638,316),
    state 0x0, keycode 120 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
    XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 46, synthetic NO, window 0x2a00001,
    root 0x131, subw 0x0, time 2189941, (420,-214), root:(638,316),
    state 0x0, keycode 120 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
    XFilterEvent returns: False
# now Fn+F8 (increase brightness)
# Strangely somehow no event is triggered on Fn+F8 keypress. nothing is output in xev terminal window.

But when I boot my netbook into liquorix kernel, brightness keys work prefectly. There is even an onscreen display too (though it is in the middle of screen instead of default top right where DBus notofications appear!).

(Similarly, I suspect that in Liquorix kernel, it fails to recognise the laptop lid open event and does not trigger 'resume'/thaw/wake-up sequence (because pm-suspend.log shows everything in order while going to sleep). Hence the problem.)

So what can we do to make backlight adjustment work with keys?
--

2. By newer kernel, do you mean I should wait till Crunchbang rolls out a newer one? or you mean I should be getting one directly from kernel.org?

--
--

Last edited by y.mk (2014-07-06 08:29:52)

#5 2014-07-06 08:48:30

Random Access
#! Member

You could always try the Netbook kernel.  It is compiled for Intel Atom CPU netbooks.  According to Wikipedia, the Booklet uses an Intel Atom Z530 processor.  It is packed for Debian, so you can just use synaptic or apt-get to remove it if it doesn't work out for you. 

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kernelnetbook/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kerneln … b/download

The headers are in a separate package, if you need them (shouldn't need unless you have custom modules).

This looks like a very good tutorial on how to edit rc.xml to get openbox to recognize your brightness keys.  It is written for Manjaro, but the file is in the same location in #!

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Open … e_Keyboard

Last edited by Random Access (2014-07-06 08:54:30)

"Where I come from, that means you're about to steal a mirror."--Kilgore Trout

#6 2014-07-11 13:57:10

y.mk

Random Access wrote:

You could always try the Netbook kernel.  It is compiled for Intel Atom CPU netbooks.  According to Wikipedia, the Booklet uses an Intel Atom Z530 processor.  It is packed for Debian, so you can just use synaptic or apt-get to remove it if it doesn't work out for you. 

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kernelnetbook/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kerneln … b/download

The headers are in a separate package, if you need them (shouldn't need unless you have custom modules).

This looks like a very good tutorial on how to edit rc.xml to get openbox to recognize your brightness keys.  It is written for Manjaro, but the file is in the same location in #!

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Open … e_Keyboard

I installed kernel-netbook but it failed to boot. It couldn;t find the disc/partition with / root filesystem. I noticed that when booting into stock kernel, the boot process pauses with after the message "waiting for /dev/ to be fully populated" for a few moments and successfully boots, whereas kernel-netbook does not pause (I don;t remember seeing this message at least).

Not sure how that can be remedied.
--

Board footer