SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#151 2014-02-24 13:19:39

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

Re: The great #! forums DWM thread

You got errors because you have patched your dwm.c with other patches. Hand patch them in. Also, you don't turn of the bar. You simply place it off-screen. It is still there in memory.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres
Github

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

Be excellent to each other!

#152 2014-02-24 15:00:37

Resident Bot
#! Die Hard

erm how do you know that?
I tried it on a vanilla untouched dwm and got an error abt not being able to find file to patch at input line 4, but if I try other .diff patches they are no problem.
I changed the top 3 lines of your .diff file and it worked

Last edited by Resident Bot (2014-02-24 15:04:32)

Troll = not a fanatic
slave of #!  and arch

#153 2014-02-24 15:20:05

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

This is a prime example of why one has to supply the exact error one is getting. "It doesn't accept it, I got errors" is no such exact description. I assumed, since you said "accept" that it couldn't apply some hunks.

The error you got instead was that it could not find dwm.c! Of course it doesn't, if your setup does not match mine and if you don't give it the path to your dwm.c...

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres
Github

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#154 2014-07-10 22:05:11

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

Any clues what is the current status of ttf support? (running latest master git, dwm says its 6.1)

p.s. this

static const char font[]            = "VL Gothic:size=16:antialias=true:hinting=true";

is not working.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2014-07-10 22:07:02)

#155 2014-07-10 22:14:32

Head_on_a_Stick
#! Cat

^ http://dwm.suckless.org/patches/xft
You need to use xfontsel to call your font: see here... wink

#156 2014-07-10 22:29:32

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

Head_on_a_Stick, that patch wont work with latest greatest, also xfontsel is for x/bitmap fonts only I believe.

#157 2014-07-10 22:30:18

Head_on_a_Stick
#! Cat

D'oh, sorry... hmm

#158 2014-07-12 11:35:03

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

Bronto, see my repo for a version that used to include Pango. Just browse to one of the commits to see what you need to change:

https://github.com/Unia/dwm/commit/81cc … 19a7022538

Note: that commit actually removed Pango, so apply the red lines over the green ones  wink

Github

#159 2014-07-12 13:19:41

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

@Unia, Thanks , I'll give it a try.

Another q: What would be the procedure to give thunar permission to mount/unmount usb drives? (I can mount them manually: mount -t ntfs ....)

#160 2014-07-12 14:55:58

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

If you're on Arch, sourcing files inside /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/ should do the trick:

if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ]; then
	for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/*; do
		[ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
	done
	unset f
fi

Not sure which file you'd need to source on Debian, though.

Github

#161 2014-07-12 19:43:56

Loomx

I usually find that starting consolekit and dbus along with dwm solves any odd permission problems.
This line at the end of ~/.xinitrc does the job:

exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch dwm

See also this thread if that doesn't work:
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=30373

#162 2014-07-13 13:36:59

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

@loomx; That did the trick, thanks.

#163 2014-07-14 22:00:21

Menschenkind
#! CrunchBanger

Just a quick question, since I'm currently trying to read somewhat into dwm. How do you manage your wireless connection and volume control without tray icons? Do you just run network manager and your audio control of choice as usual, but without an icon, or do you resort to alternatives like ipconfig/wpa_supplicant?

#164 2014-07-14 23:14:52

PackRat
#! Die Hard

If you want a system tray with dwm, you will need to apply the patch and compile from source; otherwise, you can use either method you outlined. Whichever one suits you best.

Last edited by PackRat (2014-07-15 12:38:17)

"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce tribe

#165 2014-07-15 00:48:14

Menschenkind
#! CrunchBanger

^ Thank you, PackRat. I'd like to skip the sys tray part, hence my question. Never felt satisfied with any tray solution so far.

This is already very specific, but I'd like to get some things straight before I even start, so some more feedback would be much appreciated: I know about remapping (I've read this) the meta-key, IE using the windows key instead of ALT. But is it possible to use a (theoretical) modkey like mod4 (super/win) as a keybind by itself, alone? I would like to bind dmenu directly to the super key, without the support of any other keys, like you do for the PRINT key which uses no modifiers either. In Gnome 3, the super key brings up the overview, equal to clicking to start button. There, I can simply start typing to launch programs, without further clicking. By default, dwm uses this:

{ MODKEY,                       XK_p,      spawn,          {.v = dmenucmd } },

Would it be sufficient to remove MODKEY and replace "XK_p" with "mod4"? Will this work at all or is a MODKEY obligatory? Would I need to define that differently? Or use xbindkey, alternatively?

Something a little more light hearted: In config.h, there's "killclient", bound to ALT-Shift-c. Is killclient what's used with CTRL+q / CTRL+w in other environments and programs or is it something completely different? Is killcient a sane way to close a program window? Also, shutting down the machine. The tutorial and config both use ALT-shift-q to quit. Do you actually use this, did you remove/rebind it or do you use a script like cb-exit? I'm not sure if I'd want a keybind to do this and thought about a solution with two bash-scripts (shutdown and reboot), which could be invoked via dmenu (so, super key + "quit" for shutdown -h now, e.g.) Or is dwm's quit command a saner way to shutdown? Is shutdown -h sane? AM I EVEN SANE?

So much curiousity here. I'm sorry. I find dwm so very intriguing that I want to avoid any frustration which would make me hate it in the first place.

#166 2014-07-15 07:04:52

Head_on_a_Stick
#! Cat

@Menschenkind:
You could try just binding Mod4 to see if it works: you need to replace "MODKEY," with "0,"
"killclient" is the correct method to close any selected window. It is equivalent to clicking on the "x" symbol in the corner of an openbox window.
<Alt><Shift>+q is used to kill dwm itself. This will put you back at the login screen (or back to the console).
For shutdown & reboot I bind a key combo (Windows key + Shift + Escape & Grave) to (sudo) shutdown & shutdown -r, then add this to /etc/sudoers

%<user name> ALL = (ALL:ALL) NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown

#167 2014-07-15 12:49:10

PackRat
#! Die Hard

The tutorial and config both use ALT-shift-q to quit. Do you actually use this, did you remove/rebind it or do you use a script like cb-exit?

I have done it both ways. Be advised though, since cb-exit brings up a dialog window, it will get tiled into the stack so you will need to set it up to float by default in the appropriate section of config.h.

But is it possible to use a (theoretical) modkey like mod4 (super/win) as a keybind by itself, alone?

I've never tried it. The problem you will then face is that MOD4 could not be used with any other bindings.

"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce tribe

#168 2014-07-15 13:11:55

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

I have cutefied my notes a bit (markdown);
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/795 … n.markdown

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2014-07-15 13:16:20)

#169 2014-07-15 15:19:10

Menschenkind
#! CrunchBanger

I'm still busy reading up on customizing dwm and how to build a system around it and haven't felt secure enough to simply start compiling yet. You're all so very helpful. Thank you very much. (And thank you for the link and write-up, bronto. Just what I need right now.)

PackRat wrote:

Be advised though, since cb-exit brings up a dialog window

I only used cb-exit as an example for the mechanism – since I expected everyone around here should be familiar with it – which Head_on_a_stick outlined. My homebrew would shutdown without confirmation (dmenu + "shutdown" + enter is assertive enough, imo). I still tend to this option after your and Head's feedback.

PackRat wrote:

The problem you will then face is

not a problem at all, but expected and intended. I'd stick to ALT as modkey. But I guess I'll have to try for myself if it works at all. It seemed like an obscure idea in the first place, so I'm glad both of you found an answer at all. Thank you.

Any experience with nodm + dwm? Is there any easier way to autologin, which would make nodm redundant? Security isn't an issue;  I'm the only user and this notebook doesn't leave its home, so I'd prioritize convenience and startup speed. I've seen some hacking around surrounding /bin/login too, but nodm seemed more straightforward and less intrusive in case I ever make up my mind and install LightDM along with another WM/DE.

#170 2014-07-15 20:13:12

Head_on_a_Stick
#! Cat

Menschenkind wrote:

Any experience with nodm + dwm? Is there any easier way to autologin, which would make nodm redundant? Security isn't an issue;  I'm the only user and this notebook doesn't leave its home, so I'd prioritize convenience and startup speed. I've seen some hacking around surrounding /bin/login too, but nodm seemed more straightforward and less intrusive in case I ever make up my mind and install LightDM along with another WM/DE.

IMO Display Managers (slim) are only really needed for changing DE/WM options, I always use ~/.xinitrc:

#!/bin/zsh 
#
# ~/.xinitrc
#
# Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)
source /etc/X11/Xsession # see http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=385820#p385820
xset s 300 # sets my screen to blank after 300 seconds
compton --backend glx --vsync opengl-swc & # stop screen tear with Intel HD4600
setxkbmap -option caps:none # turn off caps lock
sh ~/.fehbg & # wallpaper
urxvtd -f -o &
exec dwm

startx will load up this file & start the x-server: to start dwm automatically after logging in at the console (tty1-6) add this to ~/.bash_profile

[[ -z $DISPLAY && $XDG_VTNR -eq 1 ]] && exec startx

I only know how to login automatically using systemd... https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Au … al_console
I don't know if this method will work even with Debian Testing/Unstable, I haven't tried it hmm

#171 2014-07-15 21:01:40

Menschenkind
#! CrunchBanger

^ I've read about all this, hence I asked about the "nodm" , to startx automatically. After your elaboration, I think I'll stick to the idea.

#172 2014-07-15 21:15:54

Head_on_a_Stick
#! Cat

^ Ooooh that's interesting --- I've never seen nodm before...
big_smile

#173 2014-07-15 22:53:13

Loomx

Hi all,

I'll add my $0.02 again...

You can bind the Mod4/Windows key on its own; in my case I use it to launch `dmenu_run'.
First use `xev' to find the keycode that mod4 outputs, then add a line like this to your ~/.xinitrc:

# Turn Super/Windows key into XF86Launch1
xmodmap -e "keycode 133 = XF86Launch1"

Then put a line in the keys[] array in your dwm/config.h to use that key like this:

static Key keys[] = {
   /* modifier                key                              function        argument */
   { 0,                       XF86XK_Launch1,                  spawn,          {.v = dmenucmd } },
};

For the network-manager icon (nm-applet), you can use a tray like stalonetray and use a script to launch it when you want it, then kill it afterwards:

#!/bin/sh
#
# /usr/local/bin/wifi
#
# Add '$USER ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/nm-applet, /bin/killall nm-applet' to /etc/sudoers

sudo nm-applet 2>/dev/null &
stalonetray --geometry=2x1-0-0 2>/dev/null
sudo killall nm-applet

So to put that all together, I hit Mod4 to launch dmenu, type `wifi' to launch the tray and nm-applet, then when I'm done with it, just use the `killclient' binding to kill the tray "window" and then the script kills nm-applet to clean up.
(and yes, `killclient' is a sane way to close a window)

Instead of a volume control icon I use keybindings to control it and my status bar shows the volume as a %

I'm not sure if you've seen it, but I wrote a howto on the debian forums a while ago: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=65110
See also the links in my signature for a status bar program and some other configs, scripts, etc

I like dwm  smile

#174 2014-07-16 05:04:37

Alad
Software Satan

^ NetworkManager in dwm ...  cry

To automagically login on sysv without extra packages: http://linuxbbq.org/wiki/index.php/Auto … in_console

Be excellent to each other!

#175 2014-07-16 10:08:35

Menschenkind
#! CrunchBanger

@Loomx: Awesome, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much. My super-key even uses the same keycode.
@Alad: Thank you. That looks easy enough. I will give it a try.

Board footer